Thursday, September 17, 2009

Asian Night

Ok I'm a little behind on what I call Asian night dinner. I was hoping to have a little more because I had some ideas I wanted to try out but time didn't allow me to do that. So my husband made one of our family favorites chicken fried rice.

This is a great way of how he uses the previous night's dinner and turns it into a completely different meal. The previous night this was a rotisserie chicken, white rice and a side of steamed vegetables. Tadaaa! It's fried rice. What's needed for this dish:


day old white rice

steamed vegetables (we used broccoli and sweet snap peas)

cooked diced chicken

1 medium onion
2 Tablespoons oil (we use canola)
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
garlic powder and black pepper to taste

In a pan heat oil. When oil is warm add onions and sautee till clear. Spoon in rice and break apart. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until hot. Constantly stir so it doesn't stick to the pan. Stir in the snap peas (or any of your favorite steamed vegetables), soysauce, garlic powder and black pepper. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Garnish with steamed broccoli and serve hot.

Next to the fried rice I made onion cakes. This is similar to the green onion cakes from Martin Yan's Culinary Journey Through China. I don't even where to begin with this recipe so it's just easier to show you.

It's the dough and onions that we need for this recipe (tofu and rice are for the sushi).




Part of Asian night I was going to make sushi but that turned into the following night's dinner. What I like about making sushi at home is that I don't use raw fish. I'm not a fan of raw food. I create my own versions this one includes baby spinach, carrots, cucumber avocado and tofu. The rice is flavored with a mixture of rice vinegar, sugar and salt and then sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.




Happy eating!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...