Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Baking is On

With all the vegetables frozen, apples are in full swing around here so let the baking begin. 

 This a first for me fruit in the crockpot.  We love to freeze apple sauce and fruit sauce for later on in the winter to go with our pancakes. I tried this recipe first and then made my own variation to make it a fruit sauce.
Fruit Sauce
10 apples peeled and sliced
a handful of strawberries and blueberries
1 peach peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons dairy free margarine (or butter)
3/4 cup water.
Put everything in the crockpot and cook on high for 2 1/2 hours.  Using a spoon mash the fruits and stir after 2 hours.

 There was tons of bread.
 The first pies of the season.
 Our favorite lemon bread that always crumbles.




This year I'm trying something new out.  As much as I like to bake and cook I usually get turned off from a recipe when it calls for a pre-made pie crust (which I never have on hand ).  Since I was on a roll for making pie crusts I made a few extra pie crusts to freeze.  After rolling them out I spread them into the pie plates and froze them.  Once they were frozen they slid right out of the pan and each one went into a bag.  (My intial thought was stack them with wax paper in between but they all wouldn't fit in the bag.)  Now a stack of pie crusts are already in the freezer for a new recipe or pies. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...