Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Energy soup needed

I was looking at my post list and found that I had a draft still in there.  I found this post for soup that I thought I posted last week..  So here's my belated post for soup on a rainy day. 
It's been one of those weeks that doesn't feel quite like spring but more like fall cool and rainy. With a headache and rain and very low energy I was definitely in the mood for some soup like this one but I didn't have all the ingredient so I tried a different variation.




I apologize for the unappetizing pictures but I swear it tastes good and warm. Good for picking up your mood too.

Collard Greens Soup
2 cups collard greens chopped and cooked
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves chopped
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
15 oz. can diced tomatoes
15 oz can of white kidney beans rinsed
1 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1.  In a sacuce pan bring 2 cups of water to a boil then put in chopped collard greens.  Bring to a boil then simmer for  for 20-25 minutes till tender.
2.  After the collard greens are done drain and squeeze out any excess water. Set aside.
3.  In the same sauce pan heat olive oil on medium heat then add in garlic and crushed red pepper.  Cook for 1 minute not too long so it won't burn.
4.  Add tomatoes, broth, rinsed kidney beans and bring to a boil.  Simmer on medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
5.  Then add collard greens, salt and pepper.  Simmer on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes to blend the flavors. Scoop into bowls and enjoy.

Note:
-Instead of chicken broth use vegetable broth.
-You can omit the broth altogether and double up on the diced tomatoes.
-Goes well with rice.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...