Woke up Sunday thinking I might actually do some baking and try to use up the last of the frozen cherries from last summer. I was thinking of muffins or may be something with oats.
So I went to one of my recipe binders and finagled another recipe. I pulled 2 bowls and the ingredients and began mixing wet ingredients, dry ingredients and stirred in the oats.
Rewrote the recipe as I mixed.
Put two thirds of the batter in a baking dish.
Spread the chopped frozen cherries and added more topping and baked.
Later on enjoyed with a cup of coffee. It tastes better than it looks and reminds of apple crisp but with more topping and less fruit. The family agreed to call this Fruity Oat Bars or Lulu Bars. Either way here is the finagled recipe for Fruity Oat Bars.
Fruity Oat Bars
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup dairy free margarine softened
Baking powder mixture: In a cup mix 1 1/2 Tbsp water, 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil and 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups of oats (divided 1 3/4 cup and set aside 1/4 cup)
1 1/4 cup frozen cherries chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch square pan.
2. In a bowl sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl stir together brown sugar, dairy free margarine, baking powder mixture and vanilla. Stir together till creamy and smooth. Then add flour mixture to the wet mixture. Mix till well combined. Then stir in 1 3/4 cup oats.
4. Spread 2/3 of batter evenly into prepared baking dish. (Leave 1/3 of the batter in the bowl.) Then spread a layer of cherries evenly.
5. In the bowl add 1/4 cup of oats to the batter and mix. Then crumble over the cherries. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool then cut into squares.
Note: The baking powder mixture replaces 1 egg.
Enjoy for breakfast or with your afternoon coffee/tea :)