Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cleaning the family space

I have desperately been trying to tackle the clutter that accumulated the past of couple of months on the kids toy and game shelves. And now I'm done! A little over a year ago a friend of mine helped me redo my home. She helped me pull it all together and get rid of the unnecessary "stuff" that just was not working for my family. That's where the art studio came in, my space and now you can have a look at where all my children's toys and games belong. (I took it a step further and label everything to keep me on track.)



I came up with a philosophy for my family that has helped.

  • Keep away from the plastics as much as possible. (There are a few exceptions.)
  • In/Out rule. New thing comes in so what's going out to the thrift store. (Makes me think twice or more about what does our family need and want.)
  • Where exactly is it going to go on the shelf?
  • Marketing review: What do we really want to expose our children to that the media says we need or will make our life better?
  • Minimizing the typical commercial stuff. Who said again girls play with this and boys play with that? Keep some basic things that work for all and promote creativity.

Now how did I come to this conclusion and new philosophy? Lots of mistakes and a lot of eye opening cleaning up with my girlfriend :)


Hey was that flash "The Hacker"?!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...