Wednesday, August 31, 2011
More on those vegetables. As the summer days start to dwindle we are trying to enjoy as much of of the fresh vegetables as possible Capponata is one of my favorite easy summer meals that my family cooks. A tip passed along from one family memeber is to cook all the vegetables separately. So here is how I tried making this capponata
1. First got all vegetables washed and chopped onions, eggplant, sweet and/or hot peeppers, 1 tomato 1 garlic clove and zucchini.
2. Next heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil then add the onions. Cook till clear and tender about 2-3 minutes, then scoop out the onions and put in a dish.
3. Keep the flame about medium just enough to keep the pan and oil warm througout this recipe.
4. Add the the eggplant and cook till tender about 5 minutes tossing at least onces so it does not burn. When done scoop out and add to onions.
5. If needed add little more oil and heat it up then add peppers. If you like it spicy add some hot cherry peppers. Cook for about 3-4 minutes tell tender then scoop them out and add to the eggplant and onions.
6. Lastly is the zucchini. I used the inside of the zucchini from the stuffed vegetables. Cook the zucchini first by itself for about 2 minutes then add the tomato and if you like a little salt, pepper and garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes till zucchini is clear do not over cook tomatoes. Scoop out and add to the rest of the vegetabeles.
7. Toss all the vegetables together and add a few leaves of fresh basil.
This goes well as a side, over pasta or just by itself with fresh bread.