Monday, November 8, 2010

Finally I'm getting back to some blogging this week. As I mentioned in my last post I have been in need of a break to think and well now I'm feeling rejuvinated. One of things I had to share is a soup that I finageled. One of my favorite Chinese soups is Hot and Sour Soup and when it gets cold out it's one of the soups I crave. This version is adapted from a cookbook and is not as spicy but I think pretty tasty for the adults in our household. The kids aren't fans. Here's some of what goes into it.
Diced carrot, onion and tofu.


On the left wooden ears and on the right dried mushrooms. Both were soaked in hot water for 4 minutes.All the ingredients simmering.I apologize that the picture doesn't make this look appetizing but it was good.

My version of Hot & Sour Soup

1 small onion diced

1 carrot diced

1/2 cup dried mushroom (soaked in hot water for about 4 minutes and drained)

2-3 dried wooden ears (soaked in hot water for 3 minutes and drained)

1 cup diced tofu

1 cup cooked ham or pork (shredded or diced)

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon chili oil (or more if you like it spicy)

1 teaspoon white pepper

1 teaspoon sugar

1 tablespoon soy sauce

10 cups water or 8 cups soup stock

1 beef boullion cube

In pot heat 1 tablespoon oil then add carrots and onion. Sautee till carrots are soft and onions are clear. Then add water or soup stock and the rest of the ingreadients. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.

Note:

-I don't know exactly how much this yields I would guess about 4 adults. I stretched this out for more for my family.

-If you don't have grated ginger the orginal recipe uses 2-3 slices fresh ginger. It's cooked for 2-3 minutes then discarded.

-This soup is more like a broth not like the restaurant. It's because in the original recipe a cornstarch solution is added as well as an egg. I don't do either one. If you choose 4 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons of water are mixed and then added to the soup cook till thickened about 1 minute. Then remove from heat and mix in 1 beaten egg. I omit this from my recipe because it doesn't come out well for me.

-To make this vegetarian skip the meat it's just as tasty without it.

Enjoy and keep warm :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...