Tuesday, April 19, 2011

In the kitchen: salmon burgers & fennel salad

Well friends it's been a while since I posted any recipes there has been some cooking in the kitchen and some frozen to the oven quick meals.  Too bogged down by tax filing, papers organizing and  reciepts.  Now that's all done I feel a load has been lifted.  A few weeks ago I tried a Better Homes & Garden recipe for salmon burgers but they looked burnt so here is a better picture and an allergy friendly recipe.  I'm not sure how much longer we'll be eating salmon but this is definitely a family favorite.
Salmon Burgers
1 lb salmon fillet washed, skinned and diced into small pieces
1 cup panko (Japanese style bread crumbs)
2 green onions thinly sliced
1 tsp ground ginger (or 2 tsp fresh grated)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 garlic minced)
1/4 cup soy milk
1 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp lemon juice
4 Tbsp vegetable oil

1. Put diced salmon in a bowl after it's rinsed and skinned.  I didn't do this but if you think it's too chunky it can go into the food processor to make smaller but don't grind too much. 
2. In a separate bowl combine panko, onion, ginger, garlic, soy milk, soy sauce and lemon juice.  Then add to salmon and mix well.  You can either shape and cook immiedately or cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.  It will be easier to work with if chilled but if time does not allow it can be cooked right away.
3.  Heat oil medium-high heat in skillet.  Shape patties and cook 4-5 minutes each side till golden brown temperature should be 160 degrees.
Enjoy in a bun like a burger or on the side with rice and vegeatables.


One of our sides is a fennel salad.  Take a whole fennel wash, dice and chop into smaller pieces then drizzle with olive oil, squeeze half a lemon and salt to taste.  

Random ::
:: Well I have been very inspired lately especially cleaning up that my pantry is done.  We still buy packaged snacks and pasta but it looks much prettier in glass jars, mason jars and containers from Ikea.  Inside my pantry I also keep a shelf for some of homeschooling needs flash cards, scrabble letters, dice, pens, pencils, scissors, etc. Just feels good to check one thing off the list.
:: In the kitchen I was inspired by soulemama and their family egg coloring with natural dyes.  I decided why not give it a try.  I had the beets, blueberries, red onion, yellow onion and cherries.  I had 4 burners going and now I have to buy eggs.  Hope to have pictures for you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Ana said...

mmmmmm, I forgot how good salmon burgers are! I must make them soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...