Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cauliflower Inspired

On Wedneday read Val's post from Collecting the Moments and it sounds like she needs some cauliflower recipes. I was inspired to write a post on just some cauliflower recipes we use around here that I hope come in handy for anyone out there.

1. Freeze it for later. Blanch the cauliflower in boiling water for 2 minutes then freeze it. Whenever I freeze fruits and veggies I place them on a cookie sheet and freeze it for a little while so they stay whole ant then put them in a bag.

2. For anyone who has A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg the Carmelized Cauliflower With Salsa Verde is yummy. The cauliflower is tossed with olive oil and salt and then cooked in the oven. While it cooks mix the dressing. For anyone that's familiar with this recipe I omitted the jalapeno and cilantro and it was still tasty. (I just didn't have any in the house that particular time.)

3. Cauliflower n' Cheese not mac n' cheese. Instead of pasta use cauliflower when making mac n' cheese. Makes a tasty side dish.

4. Breaded cauliflower. Forgive me on this recipe because it's a made up one and it's been a while since I made it. I don't have exact measurements. So here goes.

cauliflower
1-2 eggs
milk
bread crumbs
grated parmesan cheese (optional)
oil for cooking

In one bowil mix eggs and milk. In another bowl mix bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Cut the cauliflower into large pieces then drop in egg mixture. Then roll in bread crumbs. Place coated cauliflower in a dish till ready to cook. In a pan heat oil for frying then drop cauliflower and cook till golden brown.
This tastes really good over pasta.

5. Nonna's Cauliflower Salad This recipe is my mom's. Here I go again with recipes that are made up.

Cooked cauliflower
1-2 stalks of celery chopped
small jar of green olives rinsed
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
white or red wine vinegar( optional)

After cauliflower is cooked and cooled down place in a bowl and add all the ingredients. Toss and serve or refrigerate for later. Another tasty side dish really.

6. Marinated Cauliflower Salad from Martha Stewart This last one I got from our csa and they recommended this recipe. It looks tasty and yes I love cauliflower salads and soups. The only variation I should note is that I'll pass on the capers because I never seem to have any.

Enjoy your bounty!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...