Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My pie plate and crockpot are tired.

Ever have one of those days that didn't go the way you planned. Yesterday  wasn't a bad day but an off the blog day internet was down, blogger was not cooperating and more snow to shovel..On the brigher side I caught up some of the kids homeshcooing stuff.  Here is what has been going on in the kitchen.   
After last week's snow we stayed in over the weekend and I just kept the kitchen warm the past few days with the crockpot, the oven and some candles. I was in the mood for making all those winter comfort foods.
Here's why my pie plates and crockpot are tired.


 Made a tomato sauce and let it simmer in the crockpot instead of on the stove for a couple of hours. I have a pretty simple recipe of 4 15 oz cans tomato sauce, 1 diced onion, 1 sliced garlic, 2 basil leaves and 1 teaspoon of sugar.  The sugar is if the sauce needs a little sweetness.  Put it all in the crock pot on high for about 3 hours. 



 There's that hand again trying to get into the chicken pot pie.

 A slice of peach pie.  This recipe is the same as the Cranberry Pie.  Instead of cranberries I used frozen peaches from the summer and omitted the orange extract.  Very sweet.
 Shepherds pie with a ritz cracker topping.
What's winter without chili? I'm finding  it's easy to have something warm simmering on these cold snowy days so there has been a lot of chili lately.

My version of chili:

1 diced tomato fresh or frozen
1 can routelle with chili
2 -15 oz cans tomato sauce
1 medum onion chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
1 can of white kidney beans rinsed
1 can of red kidney beans rinsed
1lb of cooked ground beef (optional)
dash of chili powder
1/8 teaspoon of cumin
1/8 teaspoon coriander.

I apologize if the quantities are a little sketchy. I have been making it enough that I forgot to write down exactly what goes into the chili. If using ground beef cook it in a pan first till it's brown. Otherwise omit it all together. I use about 1 tomato but since it's winter and I don't buy any I have a bag full of diced tomatoes in the freezer and just grab a handful of those. As for the spices. If you like it hot add more chili. The cumin and coriander I'm guessing about 1/8 teaspoon but if you like add more. Put everything in the crock pot and set it on high and cook for about 3 1/2 - 4 hours. Enjoy with fresh bread or with a little rice.

Random:
-Phew finally this is done afer 2 frustrating days with blogger.
-I finished reading The Red Garden.  It was awesome perfect for these snowy days when yo want to curl up with a good book you can't put down.
-Hoping to share my chicken pot pie recipe and do a tutorial on Tunisian crochet.
-After all this frustrating internet and snow  as well trying to upkeep the home and my messy library/office I read this post.  My friend sent me the link and I have been meaning to read her blog and realize I have nothing to complain about.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...